Monday, May 01, 2006

Painting with Light


At the request of some family members, I am creating this forum to share one of my passions with friends and family...the imaging of the heavens. Astronomy has always been a fascination with me, since I stayed up till the twilight hours of July 20, 1969 to watch Neil Armstrong step onto the moon. As a young boy I dreamed of making a space ship and flying to the far reaches of space. I wanted to try and satisfy the wonder and awe that filled my heart as I looked up at the cosmos and dreamed of other worlds and galaxies. It wasn't until I became an adult that I realized that even though I couldn't travel to the sources of light, I could still experience the thrill of discovery by allowing the light to come to me. By using very sensitive charged coupling devices, CCD's, one can gather light that has traveled for millions and millions of years and finally arrived at earth. By this means, one can open a window into the heavens and take a peak. We are also opening a window back into time as we view light that is millenniums old. So here are some of my attempts to paint a picture with light. It is a feeble attempt to capture what God has so artistically created for our enjoyment and blessing. For when all is said and done, my purpose is to demonstrate the majesty and glory of our loving Creator, as well as hopefully engender a greater sense of awe and wonder in the hearts of those who take time to look up.
(Other astrophotos I have taken can be seen at my Photobase website. The link is at right).

1 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Whenever I played Barbies the barbie dad was always an astronaut. I've always felt a certain unity with the universe when I look up as well. Whether its remembering (as Fifel would say) "that were underneath the same big sky" or just being given the opportinity to ponder the heavens. Either way I love your pictures. They're very beautiful and peaceful.
Thanks for sharing your talents with us! Keep them coming!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home